Caring for your Sterling Silver Jewellery
Sterling silver, like other precious metal alloys, can oxidise with time. But properly maintained silver jewellery improves with age and develops a lush patina. Treat your silver well, care for it properly and it will reward you with a long life and a lustrous look.
- Clean your silver jewellery with a mild soap and water solution, allowing the water to bead up, and then patting dry with a soft cloth. For more stubborn dirt, use a cleaner designed for silver use.
- Avoid spraying perfume directly on the jewelry
- Store your silver in a cool, dry place, preferably in a tarnish-preventive bag or wrapped in a soft piece of felt or cloth. You can also store in a tight ziplock when not in use
- Store pieces individually so that they don’t knock together and scratch. Do not store under the weight of other products, due to the delicate nature of the jewelry
- Do not rub silver with anything other than a polishing cloth. Tissue paper or paper towels can cause scratches because of the fibers in these products.
- Make sure your silver is not exposed to air and light during storage – this can cause silver to tarnish.
- Don’t wear sterling silver in chlorinated water or when working with household chemicals.
- To remove any tarnish the simple use of a special Silver Dip or rubbing with a Silver Cloth is all that is required to renew the brilliance and shine.
To know more about the silver jewellery read our blog posts here.